|My presentation title page for one of the Organizational Communication Division “B.E.S.T. Sessions” at the International Communication Association convention, May 25, 2014|
The mission was straightforward: To prepare a 4.5 minute presentation for the “Brief Entertaining Scholarly Talk” (aka B.E.S.T) session that covers the high points of a 25 page research paper in an engaging, “high energy” manner.
But how does one best convey complex research in a fraction of the usual time frame?
For me: A movie trailer. More specifically, an “Honest Trailer”-style preview complete with “Movie Voice” voice-over (Thank you, Mr. T) and hilarious photos.
It’s the only presentation I’ve ever given without saying more than a few words. Annnnnd, I won the Best-of competition, thankyouverymuch! (Please polish Mr. T’s Oscar.)
1. 24 Hours of Happy
2. If loving a wheelbarrow is wrong…
3. A trip to the nursery
5. Sweet peas
6. Cool as a…
7. A Butterfinger Blizzard
8. Happiness by the yard
9. Keeping the vampires at bay
10. Giving P.F. Chang’s a run for its money
11. A little Spring snow in the Sierras
12. Communing with fellow comm nerds
13. Ladies’ night
14. Ten Thousand Waves in Santa Fe, New Mexico
15. The shredded cedar fitness plan
16. Baby’s first Easter
17. Bathmat runways
18. Oasis in progress
19. My kind of Easter egg hunt
20. Mass cookie production