Thursday 13: Winter snapshot
“Winter” just arrived in Arizona! While the rest of the U.S. is blanketed in record-breaking blizzards, an arctic blast is beating the cacti here in the desert. I’m not even fake-whining today! (Normally I complain that 60 is cold as Arizona apparently thinned my blood in the last 18 months.) Today’s high was in the high 30s with 25 degree wind-chill. Although definitely a heat wave compared to the rest of the country, it’s still freaking freezing to the likes of us who were enjoying 75-degree days not a week ago!
As this post isn’t even about weather really, I digress to give you a Thursday 13 winter snapshot!
1. A recent photo:
|30th annual Jesuit High School crab feed. You’re staring at a new lifetime Booster and his wife. (Wow, wife is still a weird word!)|
2. A giant project:
|My first solo mail merge.|
|My first social science survey project!|
|871 letters printed, folded and stuffed = 5 episodes of Glee, 5 episodes of Private Practice and 1 episode of Law & Order. That is how I roll! Mindless tasks are best done with mindless TV marathons.|
3. Favorite recipe: I cooked up a storm during December and January, so picking a favorite recent recipe is tough. However, I think I have to go with the Pioneer Woman’s Cinnamon Rolls. To. Die. For.
4. Great movies: True Grit, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pan’s Labyrinth.
5. Photo I took:
|High school best friends. I love Tom’s solution for my “Smile, dammit!” command.|
|It worked. 🙂 Mike, Tom and Tim. John’s there in spirit.|
6. Something I’m looking forward to: Visiting Monterey in a couple weeks. I’m doing three presentations at an academic conference (yikes!) and thankfully, I get to drag T along for the ride. Since it’s just a few days after Valentine’s, we’ll be making a romantic weekend of it. (Sigh.)
7. Something else I’m looking forward to: ICE CREAM! I mean visiting Tillamook, Oregon next month. Poor Mr. T is working like a maniac lately with hospital projects and I just about went into hysterics when he informed me that he’d be in Tillamook at a go-live for my ENTIRE spring break in March. Luckily, I only moped for a few hours before deciding there MUST be a cute B&B for me to haunt while T works. Sure enough! I found the “Thyme & Tide” in Oceanside and I have plans to frequent the Tillamook Cheese Factory every day for free samples while T works. 😉
8. A visit to the theatre:
|My sweetie and I sat in the second row for a performance by MOMIX, a group of dancer-illusionists. A little close, but SO COOL!|
9. A frustration: Holiday weight gain. Seriously, my annual habit of gaining seven pounds between Thanksgiving and New Year’s irritates the hell out of me! (Of course, me thinks PW’s cinnamon rolls *might* have something to do with it!)
10. A rockin’ party:
|Kicking off the semester with a Mad Woman birthday party was fabulous!|
|In case you want to know what theme I’ll be ripping off for my next milestone birthday, look no further!|
11. Non-school book I’m reading: “The Good Son” by Michael Gruber.
Leave a Reply